Requirements for Entering Costa Rica
- Submission of the online form called “Pase de Salud” (Health Pass). This form is available online at https://salud.go.cr/.
- If you are not vaccinated, travel medical insurance from an authorized agency by the Costa Rican Insurance Authority (Superintendencia General de Seguros de Costa Rica).
- Approved travel insurance can be purchased through the National Insurance Institute (INS – Instituto Nacional de Seguros), or Sagicor.
- If you are vaccinated, Costa Rica does not require this purchase, however, Soltara does for your safety – it can be any travel medical insurance that suits your needs.
Costa Rica and Soltara do not require a COVID vaccine. If you have the COVID-19 Vaccine, we still require an antigen or PCR test taken within 36 hours of retreat start.
Soltara Retreat Requirements
- Proof of a negative COVID-19 viral test from a sample taken within 36 hours of retreat start.
- The test must be a viral test, which could be either an antigen test or an RT-PCR test. Please note that antibody tests will not be accepted.
- For example, if a retreat begins on Sunday, sample must be taken no earlier than Saturday.
- *Note* If you need a test just before the retreat or to return to your home country after your retreat, all Costa Rican airports now offer COVID testing through Lab Echandi, which also has many other locations throughout Costa Rica.
- Results in 1 hour for antigen and 3 – 24 hours (price-dependent) for PCR tests
- You can arrive to the airport early for your departing flight and book your testing appointment via this link.
Booking Your Flights
Please do not book your flights until after you have completed our intake process and your registration has been confirmed by our intake support team.
SJO – Juan Santamaría International Airport
(SJO) near San José
Pickup on Day 1 of your retreat at 11:15 am from nearby hotel
Plan to arrive the night before your retreat begins, or by 9 am on Day 1.
Dropoff on last day of retreat at 11:30 am to hotel (located about 15 min from airport)
Plan to depart after 2:00 pm on last day, or later if you need to wait for airport COVID test results (more information included in your confirmation email)
Arriving to SJO
We recommend arriving 1-2 days before, in order to give you time to relax and settle in before beginning your journey to Soltara.
We offer pickup on Day 1 of your retreat at 11:15 AM from the Wyndham San Jose Herradura Hotel, located about 15 minutes from the airport.
If you plan to arrive on Day 1, we recommend booking your flight to arrive by 9 AM that day, to allow time to get through customs (which can sometimes take up to 2 hours) and get to the Wyndham in time for the 11:15 AM meetup. You will arrive at Soltara around 4 pm that day, after an approximately 2 – 2.5 hour ride through the beautiful rolling hills of Costa Rica, and catching a 2:00 pm ferry ride across to Gulf of Nicoya. We are located about 10 minutes from the ferry port.
The information for the hotel is:
Autopista General Cañas, Heredia, San José, 71880, Costa Rica
+506 2209 9800
Returning to SJO
If possible, we recommend staying at least one extra night, in order to give yourself some space between your retreat and international travel.
If you are returning to SJO, please book your departing flights after 2:00 pm on last day, or later if you need to wait for airport COVID test results (more information included in your confirmation email). You will be returned to San Jose by 11:30 AM.
On the day of departure, our transportation service provider will return you to the hotel (located about 15 min from airport). If you are not flying out that day, there are several taxi options which can take you to your next destination.
Recommended Packing List
The weather in Costa Rica is tropical. Although we are located on the Gulf, temperatures can reach up to 25 – 30 degrees Celsius (80 – 90 F) with high humidity. While things can cool down after it rains, the sun is very strong and heats up the air quickly. You’ll want to wear light and breathable clothing that can get wet and dirty if need be. We also recommend you bring some light and loose, long-sleeved shirts and long pants for the jungle to help protect against mosquitos. The following list covers everything we could think of to ensure your journey is as pleasurable as possible.
- Face covering or mask (Costa Rica requires wearing masks during travel and in public spaces)
- Flashlight(s) (one bright for jungle, one dim LED RED LIGHT for ceremonies)
- Sun hat/scarf/bandana to cover head (important for after last ceremony/arcana)
- Water bottle
- Lighter(s) (for mapacho, sacred jungle tobacco sometimes smoked during ceremony)
- Sneakers/walking shoes
- Sandals or flip-flops
- 2-3 pairs swimming gear
- 1-3 Loose fitting, breathable long sleeved shirts for jungle
- 1-2 pairs rugged pants (lighter is better)
- Casual/active hot weather attire (enough for 7 days, 25-30 degree weather)
- 1 Warm sweatshirt (just in case)
- 1 Rain jacket or poncho (May – December)
- Insect repellent (natural repellent, no DEET)
- Sunscreen (30+ SPF Recommended)
- Hand sanitizer (for travel; Soltara will provide during retreat)
- Small first-aid kit for scrapes, cuts and bug bites
- Power adaptor if necessary (our plugs are the same as USA/Canada – Type A/B)
- Necessary medications (that have been approved during intake process – please consult with a facilitator before taking any while on your retreat)
- Notebook / Journal
- Passport (valid for at least six months)
- Money belt/passport wallet
- 2 Photocopies of passport
- Bank card with “Plus” or “Visa/MC/AMEX” logo
- Credit card with cash withdrawal option
- Travel/medical insurance information
- USD 300-500 in $20-100 notes (for souvenirs, meals when not at Soltara, etc.)
- Remaining balance due for retreat (if applicable) in crisp, like-new USD (no tears please, thank you for your understanding!)
- Notify financial institution of travel plans