Prior to traveling, we also require that you schedule a medical intake call. You will be contacted by our Transition Coordinator, who will discuss with you a bit about your medical history as well as some other basic questions for about 15 – 20 minutes. Please make sure you set up a time when this person contacts you, as it’s important we get a chance to speak with you before you come to ensure you the safest and most fulfilling experience possible!
Additionally, please discuss with your doctor any and all medications you are taking and their interactions with MAO inhibitors. Unlike food interactions, whose consequences are usually unlikely to be serious, interaction with pharmaceutical drugs and meds (including some over-the-counter drugs and certain herbs) can be potentially life-threatening.
Booking Your Flights
Please ensure you reserve your spot for your retreat with us prior to booking your flights! If you have any questions during the registration process or are concerned any health conditions (including bipolar, schizophrenia, or psychosis) may prevent you from attending a retreat, please contact us first.
SJO – Juan Santamaría International Airport
(SJO) near San José
- Pickup on Sunday (Day 1) at 12 pm from nearby hotel
Plan to arrive the night before your retreat begins, or by 9 am on Sunday
- Dropoff on Sunday (last day) at 12:30 pm to hotel (located about 10 min from airport)
Plan to depart after 3:30 pm on Sunday
Arriving to SJO
We offer pickup on Day 1 (Sunday) of your retreat at 12 PM from the Wyndham San Jose Herradura Hotel, located about 15 minutes from the airport.
We recommend arriving the day before, on Saturday, and booking your stay at the Wyndham, in order to give you time to relax and settle in before beginning your journey to Soltara.
If you plan to arrive on Sunday, we recommend booking your flight to arrive by 9 AM that day, to allow time to get through customs (which can sometimes take up to 2 hours) and get to the Wyndham in time for the 12 PM shuttle. You will arrive at Soltara around 4 pm that day, after an approximately 2 – 2.5 hour ride through the beautiful rolling hills of Costa Rica, and catching a 2:30 pm ferry ride across to Gulf of Nicoya. We are located about 10 minutes from the ferry port.
The information for the hotel is:
Autopista General Cañas, Heredia, San José, 71880, Costa Rica
+506 2209 9800
Returning to SJO
Our retreat packages end on Sundays. If you are returning to SJO, please book your departing flights after 3:30 PM. You will be returned to San Jose by 12:30 PM.
You will check out at 7 am in order to catch the 8 am ferry. Our transportation service provider will return you to the hotel (located about 10 min from airport with constant free airport shuttle). If you are not flying out that day, there are several taxi options which can take you to your next destination.
Recommended Packing List
The weather in Costa Rica is tropical. Although we are located on the Gulf, temperatures can reach up to 25 – 30 degrees Celsius (80 – 90 F) with high humidity. While things can cool down after it rains, the sun is very strong and heats up the air quickly. You’ll want to wear light and breathable clothing that can get wet and dirty if need be. We also recommend you bring some light and loose, long-sleeved shirts and long pants for the jungle to help protect against mosquitos. The following list covers everything we could think of to ensure your journey is as pleasurable as possible.
- Flashlight(s) (one bright for jungle, one dim LED RED LIGHT for ceremonies)
- Sun hat/scarf/bandana to cover head (important for after last ceremony/arcana)
- Water bottle
- Lighter(s) (for mapacho, sacred jungle tobacco sometimes smoked during ceremony)
- Sneakers/walking shoes
- Sandals or flip-flops
- 2-3 pairs swimming gear
- 1-3 Loose fitting, breathable long sleeved shirts for jungle
- 1-2 pairs rugged pants (lighter is better)
- Casual/active hot weather attire (enough for 7 days, 25-30 degree weather)
- 1 Warm sweatshirt (just in case)
- 1 Rain jacket or poncho (May – December)
- Insect repellent (natural repellent, no DEET)
- Sunscreen (30+ SPF Recommended)
- Small first-aid kit for scrapes, cuts and bug bites
- Necessary medications (that have been approved during intake process – please consult with a facilitator before taking any while on your retreat)
- Notebook / Journal
- Passport (valid for at least six months)
- Money belt/passport wallet
- 2 Photocopies of passport
- Bank card with “Plus” or “Visa/MC/AMEX” logo
- Credit card with cash withdrawal option
- Travel/medical insurance information
- USD 300-500 in $20-100 notes (for souvenirs, meals when not at Soltara, etc.)
- Remaining balance due for retreat (if applicable) in crisp, like-new USD (no tears please, thank you for your understanding!)
- Notify financial institution of travel plans